Banana Nut Butter Quinoa Bread (V, GF)

22 Oct

Simplicity is my best friend.  This banana bread is as simple as it gets.  Because it’s made from Quinoa (say it together, keen-wah), this bread is full of high-quality protein.  Not to mention, it’s as delicious as you can get.  Oh, did I mention it’s also vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free?

Ingredients (makes 2 loaves – if you can’t eat both, freeze the second!)

• 1 Cup quinoa flour
  • 1 Cup quinoa flakes
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 4 nicely-ripened bananas
  • 4 Tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 4 Tablespoons organic apple sauce
  • 4 Tablespoons organic nut butter
  • *optional: 2 handfuls of your favorite chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life‘s chocolate chips)

Directions:

1. Preheat you oven to 400 degrees. Mix your 4 Tablespoons of ground flax seed with 12 Tablespoons warm water.  Mix in a bowl, set aside for 5 minutes (it will have an egg-like consistency).
  2. In a large bowl, place your peeled bananas, apple sauce, nut butter, and flax seed mixture and mix away.
  3. Add your dry ingredients and stir until combined.  *If you are using chocolate chips, mix in all but a few in your batter (the rest will be sprinkled on top of your loafs so it’s personal preference!).
  4. Split your mixture between two greased bread loaf pans. *If using chocolate chips, sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top.  Pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes (always test by placing a toothpick in the center of your bread.  If it pulls out clean, it’s ready!)
  5. Enjoy eating whole!

Recipe adapted from Ancient Harvest Quinoa flakes

18 Responses to “Banana Nut Butter Quinoa Bread (V, GF)”

1. triathlonobsession October 25, 2012 at 7:14 pm #

I’m always looking for some fun GF recipes—looking forward to reading your blog! This looks like a great weekend treat! :). Elizabeth.

• eatingwhole October 25, 2012 at 7:20 pm #

Thank you, Elizabeth! It is a great quick treat for your weekend (I’ll confess, I bring these to snack on while hiking. Delish!). Have a great evening! ~Elisa

• triathlonobsession October 27, 2012 at 11:18 pm #

OMG! I made an adapted version of this into muffins and it is fantastic! Best GF muffin texture–must be that genius flax mix. Of course I made this in tandem with the galette but that is saved for a dinner party tomorrow. Thank you!!!

• eatingwhole October 28, 2012 at 11:26 am #

aww I am so thrilled!!!! And blushing from your sweet comments haha I’d love to know how the galette is received!! Hope your party is fabulous 🙂

• triathlonobsession October 29, 2012 at 9:09 am #

Galette was a success and not a crumb left! The crust is fantastic and so easy. It’s on the menu for Thanksgiving. Many many thanks!

• eatingwhole November 1, 2012 at 12:31 pm #

Aw great I’m so glad your party was such a hit!! 🙂

2. uberdish October 26, 2012 at 8:53 am #

I love this – vegan and gluten free!! I have all the ingredients so I’m going to get my kids to make this on the weekend. You have a great blog!!

• eatingwhole October 26, 2012 at 5:27 pm #

I am so happy it peaked your taste buds! It’s so easy to make your kids will make excellent helpers! Thanks for stopping by!

3. Angie's Food Adventures November 3, 2012 at 4:27 pm #

Yay! Finally a Quinoa bread recipe that sounds yummy and doesn’t have wheat in it!!! Will definitely try and can’t wait to see the rest of your blog!

• eatingwhole November 5, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

Thank you so much! Please let me know if you do 🙂 . I know; it’s so hard trying to find recipes that are not only delicious, but wheat & gluen-free! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂

4. The All Natural Girl November 5, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Oooohhh, this looks SO good! I can’t wait to try this. I’ve never baked with Quinoa before. I’ve been using almond and coconut flour. I’ll be curious to see the difference in flavor. I’ll let you know how it goes!

• eatingwhole November 9, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Thank you! Yes, please do so! I’d love to know how you like the comparison. I love using quinoa flour, especially in breakfast items. Why not start your day with added protein?!

5. laceyjbrown November 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm #

This sounds awesome. Do you think I could use 2 c quinoa flour instead of flakes? Or do the flakes serve a functional purpose?

• eatingwhole November 16, 2012 at 8:04 am #

I’ve actually tried it both ways, and far prefer mixing flakes in! The flakes made them light & airy (not like a dense door stop!). If you can’t find quinoa flakes you may substitute with oats (I unfortunately can’t eat oats – so I can’t promise it’ll be the same result!).

6. Dawn November 18, 2014 at 8:45 pm #

Thanks for the recipe – made muffins tonight and they are FANTASTIC!! And I am even a not-so-great cook !! Awesome recipe – will make them again 🙂 xoxo!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Perfect Banana Nut Butter Quinoa Muffins « - October 28, 2012

[…] cracked the gluten-free code with these muffins!  They’re made with the same recipe as my Banana Nut Butter Quinoa Bread (jump on over to see the ingredients), baked in muffin tins (either greased or in paper liners, […]

2. Vegan Breakfast – Banana Nut Butter Quinoa Bread | Making myself useful - November 22, 2012

[…] Here is the original recipe. […]

3. Bananas for Breakfast Bars: Banana Coconut Protein Bars | Eating Whole - June 3, 2014

[…] staring at my large bowl full of ripe bananas, wondering what to make.  I played off of my Banana Nut Butter Bread recipe that I love and turned them into protein breakfast bars (okay, any-time-of-day protein bars […]

Questions? Comments? :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s