Easy Morning Baked Pancake with Fruit Topper

3 Nov

Throughout my childhood, I awoke to the sweet smell of puffed-oven pancakes my mom would bake.  I was feeling nostalgic this morning and decided to convert them to be gluten-free.  When I opened the oven and saw the result, it wasn’t what I was expecting, but this was so delicious I had to share!  It takes only 25 minutes in total (about 15 minutes is waiting for it to bake), which makes it a perfect easy weekend breakfast (if you have time in the mornings during the week, more power to you!).  You can top your baked pancake with any fruit (I had apples on-hand) or jam / preserves.  As an egg replacer I used ch-ch-ch-chia seeds (yes, those same exact seeds).   I’ve put my flax seeds on the shelf and replaced them with chia seeds.  Chia seeds pack an even bigger omega-3 punch than flax seed, plus they contain antioxidants, fiber, magnesium, zinc, and copper.

Ingredients (serves 2-4; you may double the recipe & bake for 15-17 minutes):

• 1/2 Cup non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 Cup all-purpose gluten-free flour mix
  • 2 Tablespoons ground chia seeds, 6 Tablespoons hot water; whisk together until mixture becomes a gooey egg-like consistency (see above photo #3)
  • 2 Tablespoons maple syrup or raw agave nectar
  • 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder
  • Optional: 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Optional: Fruit topper – 4 organic apples; peeled, sliced, and sauteed in 1 inch of water & sprinkle of cinnamon, saute until tender

Directions:

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.  Whisk your ingredients together until smooth.  Pour your batter into a greased 9 x 9 baking dish.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden.
  2. While your pancake is baking, prepare your fruit topper.
  3. Once your pancake is baked (test with a toothpick to ensure it is baked through; if it comes out clean, it’s ready!), you can serve your pancake one of two ways:  you can top your pancake with your fruit while it is in the pan and slice as-is, OR you can  remove your pancake from  your baking dish to a serving platter.  I removed my pancake simply by placing my plate over my baking dish, turn upside down, and voila!  Your pancake is upside down on your platter.
  4. Complete your pancake with your fruit topper, sprinkle with confectionery sugar if desired.
  5. Enjoy eating whole!

Puffed Pancake recipe adapted from The Joy of Cooking

11 Responses to “Easy Morning Baked Pancake with Fruit Topper”

1. bliss46th November 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

Wowsa! So excited to find your site – I am gluten free and vegan too – and your recipes are so creative and look positively delish. This recipe looks so amazing – though my husband is the baker in the fam, but I already showed him this page to inspire him 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

• eatingwhole November 5, 2012 at 11:56 am #

Aw that is so sweet; thank you! It makes me so happy to know you appreciate my site; I want to help others (like ourselves!) enjoy healthy eats! I love your site as well; I must hit the kitchen and test a few recipes! 🙂

2. M. November 3, 2012 at 5:23 pm #

Wow, I have never heard of baking pancakes in the oven before. What a great idea — seems like it’d be harder to burn. And I love chia seeds! They’re great for making an almost tapioca-like, easy-peasy pudding. Nut milk, flavorings, chia seeds, and let sit overnight!

• eatingwhole November 5, 2012 at 11:51 am #

Thank you! Oh my goodness – I must try chia seeds for a pudding (especially since I can’t tolerate tapioca!). Wow, thank you! 🙂

3. uberdish November 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm #

I love your site, too! I have never made a baked pancake, but would love to try. I love, too, all the beautiful sliced apples on top!

• eatingwhole November 5, 2012 at 11:53 am #

Aw thank you! It’s absolutely delicious & so quick to whip up for breakfast (little easier than pancakes).

4. laceyjbrown November 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

Pinned! Thanks!

• eatingwhole November 5, 2012 at 12:01 pm #

No, thank YOU! You’re most welcome!

5. vinicooksveg November 10, 2012 at 12:31 am #

That looks so interesting and beautiful. I found your blog from ‘Uberdish ‘. I am glad that I found your blog.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Baked Pancake with Cinnamon Maple Banana Topper « - December 4, 2012

[…] Baked Pancake Recipe […]

2. Cinnamon Spiced Vanilla Pancakes with Coconut Frothed Summer Berries « - February 6, 2013

[…] Easy Morning Baked Pancake batter recipe plus: […]

Questions? Comments? :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w